About Splash Damage
Come join us!
We founded Splash Damage with a mission to create lifelong friendships for our players and our employees by building the world’s most engaging multiplayer experiences with world-leading partners. Our teams have just celebrated the launch of Gears Tactics and we’re currently working on several exciting unannounced titles.
Our people always come first, and we acted swiftly to ensure that we moved all our employees to a work from home model during the COVID-19 outbreak in the UK, and this will continue for the foreseeable future. With our first-class virtual onboarding programme, we’re able to get you up and running remotely during this time and we’re maintaining our relaxed and welcoming culture with digital social events, daily company communications and much more. With the relaxing of travel and quarantine restrictions in the UK, we are now relocating new team members from outside the UK to London prior to starting their employment with us. This gives new Splashers the opportunity to establish a home in the local area, before joining their teams in working remotely until such time as we return to the studio. We will continue to monitor the situation in line with government advice, and look forward to having all of our amazing staff back into the studio as soon as it is safe to do so.
We're advocates for work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements to suit individual needs and a comprehensive benefits package which focuses on family and mental well-being. Together with this we’ve been running a formal Equality, Diversity and Inclusion programme for nearly two years and are committed to increasing diversity across our studio.
At Splash Damage, we create multiplayer combat games that champion team play and promote lifelong friendships. Backend Engineers at Splash Damage are responsible for designing, implementing and maintaining the online services that power our award winning live-service multiplayer games.
As a backend engineer on our new unannounced title you will work within game feature teams, collaborating closely with other disciplines such as design, gameplay and UI, to create online services to drive game features such as matchmaking, purchasing, inventories, presence and much more. With a strong focus on scalability and performance, you will be responsible for owning the implementation of key tasks and features within our cloud-based online services infrastructure.
You excel at:
- Taking ownership of features and autonomously driving them to completion.
- Working effectively in open and collaborative environments.
- Employing a can-do attitude to solve difficult problems as part of an agile, fast-moving and highly-focused team.
- Breaking down your work into measurable and achievable tasks.
- Writing clear, maintainable and portable code.
- Communicating ideas, intent and constraints to both technical and non-technical team members.
- Strong proficiency in Go.
- Strong practical knowledge of distributed services and scalable architectures.
- Proficiency with relational and non-relational databases (We use PostgreSQL, Couchbase).
- The ability to deploy, run and troubleshoot your own services.
- Knowledge of Linux systems.
- The ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical team members.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to self-organise.
- The people skills to work collaboratively within a team.
Even better if you have:
- Experience in the games industry or related fields.
- Experience with other languages commonly used in backend services such as Python.
- Experience with modern C++ (C++11 and onwards).
- Experience with cloud deployment services such as AWS.
- Familiarity with WebRTC or other push models.
- Experience with web front-end methodologies.
Splash Damage is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity.
BENEFITS & PERKS
HEALTHPrivate Medical and Dental Cover for you and your family along with the Babylon 24/7 digital GP service. We also offer onsite counselling and an employee assistant program, along with covering eye tests, gym memberships and more.
HOLIDAYS & SOCIAL EVENTSWith 8 public holidays and an additional 3 day studio Christmas closure our staff have a total of 36 days off. We also offer flexible working hours and regular company social events.
FAMILY FRIENDLYIndustry leading fully paid 30 weeks maternity leave & 10 weeks paternity leave, along with flexitime and life assurance, helps new parents manage their time and put their family first.
PENSIONAll of our staff have enhanced company pension contributions, meaning that we invest in your future together.
PROFIT SHARE & REWARDSWe offer generous referral bonuses and 1% of the studio's revenue share after 1 years’ continuous service.
ADDITIONAL PERKSWe have cycle to work and car leasing schemes, a free car park, game and book libraries, complimentary weekly onsite haircuts and discounts at many local businesses.