About Splash Damage
Come join us!
We founded Splash Damage with a mission to create lifelong friendships for our players and our employees by building the world’s most engaging multiplayer experiences with world-leading partners. Our teams have just celebrated the launch of Gears Tactics and we’re currently working on several exciting unannounced titles.
Our people always come first, and we acted swiftly to ensure that we moved all our employees to a work from home model during the COVID-19 outbreak in the UK, and this will continue for the foreseeable future. With our first-class virtual onboarding programme, we’re able to get you up and running remotely during this time and we’re maintaining our relaxed and welcoming culture with digital social events, daily company communications and much more. With the relaxing of travel and quarantine restrictions in the UK, we are now relocating new team members from outside the UK to London prior to starting their employment with us. This gives new Splashers the opportunity to establish a home in the local area, before joining their teams in working remotely until such time as we return to the studio. We will continue to monitor the situation in line with government advice, and look forward to having all of our amazing staff back into the studio as soon as it is safe to do so.
We're advocates for work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements to suit individual needs and a comprehensive benefits package which focuses on family and mental well-being. Together with this we’ve been running a formal Equality, Diversity and Inclusion programme for nearly two years and are committed to increasing diversity across our studio.
We’re kicking off an exciting new project here at Splash Damage and so we’re looking for a Lead Character Artist to join the leadership team to define the look and feel of our heroes and villains.
As Lead Character Artist, you will work closely with the Art Director and Creative Director and be responsible for creating, establishing and maintaining high-quality characters for our project.
Our ideal candidate should exhibit strong mentoring capabilities and lead by example: displaying a mastery of Anatomy, Sculpting and Texturing with strong overall artistic abilities.
- Lead, motivate and inspire a team of creative artists to help them to maintain quality, efficiency and consistency through feedback and mentoring.
- Drive the visual quality in conjunction with other Lead Artists
- Collaborate with Art and Design Directors to create technically sound, engaging and memorable characters
Essential Skills and Experience
- Management of an experienced Character Art Team: including holding regular 121s, setting objectives, looking after the team’s welfare and providing mentoring
- Highly experienced and proficient with 3D Studio MAX or Maya, Zbrush and Photoshop
- Superb 3D modelling and texturing skills with both organics & hard-surface
- Strong knowledge and understanding of human anatomy, proportions, mechanics, characterisation & archetypes
- Strong knowledge of mechanical construction and functionality (gear, weapons & robotics)
- Experience of character pipelines and efficient memory management of UVs, textures and vertices
- Highly experienced working with multiple texturing workflows for current (PBR) and previous generations, capable of creating well defined and readable realistic materials.
- Substantial examples of current and past work demonstrating a strong understanding of form, silhouette, shape, texture, colour and lighting
- Understanding of character modelling, rigging and skinning in preparation for animation
- A proactive drive for efficiency in work methods & the maintenance of high standards
- A great team player, able to communicate, learn from and to teach
- Excellent communication and collaborative problem-solving skills
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Extensive experience in developing character models and textures in a variety of styles
- Minimum 3 shipped titles where credited as a character artist
- Knowledge of real-time shaders
- Strong traditional art foundations including but not limited to sculpture, conceptual design and illustration including lighting or colour keys
- Keen interest in games and game design beyond art
- Experience working within Unreal Engine 4
- Knowledge of Substance Painter and Marvelous Designer a plus
As this is a key leadership position, please include a cover letter with your application.
Splash Damage is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity.
BENEFITS & PERKS
HEALTHPrivate Medical and Dental Cover for you and your family along with the Babylon 24/7 digital GP service. We also offer onsite counselling and an employee assistant program, along with covering eye tests, gym memberships and more.
HOLIDAYS & SOCIAL EVENTSWith 8 public holidays and an additional 3 day studio Christmas closure our staff have a total of 36 days off. We also offer flexible working hours and regular company social events.
FAMILY FRIENDLYIndustry leading fully paid 30 weeks maternity leave & 10 weeks paternity leave, along with flexitime and life assurance, helps new parents manage their time and put their family first.
PENSIONAll of our staff have enhanced company pension contributions, meaning that we invest in your future together.
PROFIT SHARE & REWARDSWe offer generous referral bonuses and 1% of the studio's revenue share after 1 years’ continuous service.
ADDITIONAL PERKSWe have cycle to work and car leasing schemes, a free car park, game and book libraries, complimentary weekly onsite haircuts and discounts at many local businesses.