About Splash Damage
Come join us!
We founded Splash Damage with a mission to create lifelong friendships for our players and our employees by building the world’s most engaging multiplayer experiences with world-leading partners. Our teams have just celebrated the launch of Gears Tactics and we’re currently working on several exciting unannounced titles.
Our people always come first, and we acted swiftly to ensure that we moved all our employees to a work from home model during the COVID-19 outbreak in the UK, and this will continue for the foreseeable future. With our first-class virtual onboarding programme, we’re able to get you up and running remotely during this time and we’re maintaining our relaxed and welcoming culture with digital social events, daily company communications and much more. With the relaxing of travel and quarantine restrictions in the UK, we are now relocating new team members from outside the UK to London prior to starting their employment with us. This gives new Splashers the opportunity to establish a home in the local area, before joining their teams in working remotely until such time as we return to the studio. We will continue to monitor the situation in line with government advice, and look forward to having all of our amazing staff back into the studio as soon as it is safe to do so.
We're advocates for work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements to suit individual needs and a comprehensive benefits package which focuses on family and mental well-being. Together with this we’ve been running a formal Equality, Diversity and Inclusion programme for nearly two years and are committed to increasing diversity across our studio
As a Technical Animator, you will be responsible for creating and maintaining our Animation toolset on an exciting new project. You will maintain consistent high standards of support for both our character and animation teams whilst collaborating with the rest of the Technical Art and engineering teams to give an edge to our animation technology.
You understand the creative process involved in character and animation authoring, have an artistic sensibility and eye for good-looking animations. You have a pragmatic and practical approach to working with technology, with experience of pushing technical limits and ensuring the Animation team can work as efficiently as possible. If this sounds like an interesting challenge to you, we would love to hear from you!
As a Technical Animator, you will:
- Create new animation tools and maintain our animation toolset
- Create re-usable and bespoke rigs and skin data
- Pioneer novel techniques for our animation pipeline
- Identify bottlenecks in our animation pipeline and help resolve them with robust technical implementations
- Work with the Animation, Engineering, and Technical Art departments to ensure all dependencies are met
- Assist the engineering team with implementing Animation-related tools and features
- Support the Animation and character teams in debugging tools or game related issues
Essential Skills and Experience
- 3+ years of experience as a Technical Animator on shipped AAA titles
- Intimate knowledge of Autodesk Maya and Motion Builder with an excellent understanding of Maya’s rigging, deformation and skinning systems
- Strong working knowledge in Python and proficiency with the Open Maya API
- Solid understanding of Linear Algebra, Calculus and related concepts found in animation technologies
- Good understanding of Unreal’s runtime animation systems such as state-machines and animation blueprints
- A keen eye for proper form and deformation throughout wide ranges of movements
- Strong proactive problem-solving attitude and the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Passion for games and game development
- Excellent spoken and written communication
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience as an Animator
- Well-versed in human and animal anatomy
- Good knowledge of character topology for proper deformations
- Knowledge of lower level programming languages such as C++
BENEFITS & PERKS
HEALTHPrivate Medical and Dental Cover for you and your family along with the Babylon 24/7 digital GP service. We also offer onsite counselling and an employee assistant program, along with covering eye tests, gym memberships and more.
HOLIDAYS & SOCIAL EVENTSWith 8 public holidays and an additional 3 day studio Christmas closure our staff have a total of 36 days off. We also offer flexible working hours and regular company social events.
FAMILY FRIENDLYIndustry leading fully paid 30 weeks maternity leave & 10 weeks paternity leave, along with flexitime and life assurance, helps new parents manage their time and put their family first.
PENSIONAll of our staff have enhanced company pension contributions, meaning that we invest in your future together.
PROFIT SHARE & REWARDSWe offer generous referral bonuses and 1% of the studio's revenue share after 1 years’ continuous service.
ADDITIONAL PERKSWe have cycle to work and car leasing schemes, a free car park, game and book libraries, complimentary weekly onsite haircuts and discounts at many local businesses.