ABOUT SPLASH DAMAGE
We believe that games play better with friends. For more than 20 years, we’ve been creating team-based multiplayer experiences that have entertained tens of millions of players all over the world and forged countless new friendships along the way.
Our studio culture is rooted in our open, friendly, and collaborative environment. Our games are made by people from all over the world, from our entry-level Fresh Talent hires to industry veterans, and we believe that fostering that diverse culture is the best way to build both our games and our studio. We have won numerous awards, including a ‘World-Class’ accreditation by Best Companies and being named one of the UK’s 100 Best Large Companies to work for.
While our offices are based in Bromley, UK, our people have access to progressive working patterns that give them the flexibility to decide how to do their best work.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package for you and your family, including:
- Work your way with access to progressive working patterns including hybrid and fully remote
- Substantial performance-related pay system on top of your basic compensation, along with enhanced pension contributions and our life assurance scheme
- Bespoke VISA and relocation packages for you and your family, with support from our team throughout the whole process
- 25 days of holiday and 8 Bank Holidays a year, plus our annual studio closure between Christmas and New Year’s
- Private Medical and Dental Cover for you and your family, along with a 24/7 digital GP service
- Extensive Mental Health support, with Line Manager Mental Health training, a group of Mental Health First-Aiders, and on-site or remote counselling
- Our bespoke Learning and Development course framework to help you grow as an employee, manager, and leader
- Industry-leading fully paid 30 weeks maternity leave & 10 weeks paternity leave
As a Narrative Designer at Splash Damage, you will be responsible for world-building, content implementation, mission design, dialogue writing — as well as the emotional tone, pacing, and dialogue as directed by the Project Leads. You will collaborate closely with all other departments to maintain fun, playable experiences that marry gameplay mechanics and level design with storytelling moments.
- Write compelling, character-rich, memorable dialogue that strengthens player-driven stories.
- Reinforce the project’s core narrative pillars through storytelling.
- Proactively communicate across disciplines and up to the Narrative Lead.
- Create, write, implement, test, and refine missions.
- Tell short stories that are told in minutes, and long stories that take years to unfold.
- Respond positively and quickly to criticism, remaining open-minded and solutions-focused.
- Work with Production to provide and verify estimates, identify risks, and avoid blockers.
- Provide and maintain concise, accessible, up-to-date documentation.
- Monitor the bug database and respond to issues in a timely fashion.
- Communicate with narrative designers on other projects to ensure consistency across the studio.
- Maintain a positive, encouraging, motivational work environment.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A passion for creating new worlds, characters, items, dialogue, backstory, and lore.
- The ability to work both independently and collaboratively without close supervision.
- The ability to take direction, gracefully absorb stakeholder feedback, and iterate quickly.
- The ability to manage and implement written designs, text, and audio assets
- The ability to write to a high standard in various formats including: in-game tooltips, text logs, audio logs, and VO barks.
- The ability to write concept briefs for all other disciplines, particularly artists, programmers, and audio designers.
- An understanding of the deep and varied aspects of interactive narrative.
- An understanding of the ongoing Live nature of content in the modern video game industry.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience as a Narrative Designer in video games.
- Experience working with a game scripting language to implement game logic.
- Experience with source-control applications (SVN, Perforce, AlienBrain etc.)
- Experience in working with dynamic dialogue systems.
- Experience with wiki-based design documentation.
- Presentation skills and experience with PowerPoint.
- The ability to rapidly and thoroughly research potential game settings, and technologies, historical events and current cultural issues, writing clear guidelines for other developers
Please provide a link to examples of your previous narrative work.
This can be via YouTube, written scripts, design documents, etc.
Splash Damage is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity.
BENEFITS & PERKS
HEALTHPrivate Medical and Dental Cover for you and your family along with the Babylon 24/7 digital GP service. We also offer onsite counselling and an employee assistant program, along with covering eye tests, gym memberships and more.
HOLIDAYS & SOCIAL EVENTSWith 8 public holidays and an additional 3 day studio Christmas closure our staff have a total of 36 days off. We also offer flexible working hours and regular company social events.
FAMILY FRIENDLYIndustry leading fully paid 30 weeks maternity leave & 10 weeks paternity leave, along with flexitime and life assurance, helps new parents manage their time and put their family first.
PENSIONAll of our staff have enhanced company pension contributions, meaning that we invest in your future together.
BONUSES & REWARDSWe offer generous referral bonuses and staff are enrolled in our new bonus scheme.
ADDITIONAL PERKSWe have cycle to work and car leasing schemes, a free car park, game and book libraries, complimentary weekly onsite haircuts and discounts at many local businesses.