ABOUT SPLASH DAMAGE
We believe that games play better with friends. For more than 20 years, we’ve been creating team-based multiplayer experiences that have entertained tens of millions of players all over the world and forged countless new friendships along the way.
Our studio culture is rooted in our open, friendly, and collaborative environment. Our games are made by people from all over the world, from our entry-level Fresh Talent hires to industry veterans, and we believe that fostering that diverse culture is the best way to build both our games and our studio. We have won numerous awards, including a ‘World-Class’ accreditation by Best Companies and being named one of the UK’s 100 Best Large Companies to work for.
While our offices are based in Bromley, UK, our people have access to progressive working patterns that give them the flexibility to decide how to do their best work.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package for you and your family, including:
- Work your way with access to progressive working patterns including hybrid and fully remote
- Substantial performance-related pay system on top of your basic compensation, along with enhanced pension contributions and our life assurance scheme
- Bespoke VISA and relocation packages for you and your family, with support from our team throughout the whole process
- 25 days of holiday and 8 Bank Holidays a year, plus our annual studio closure between Christmas and New Year’s
- Private Medical and Dental Cover for you and your family, along with a 24/7 digital GP service
- Extensive Mental Health support, with Line Manager Mental Health training, a group of Mental Health First-Aiders, and on-site or remote counselling
- Our bespoke Learning and Development course framework to help you grow as an employee, manager, and leader
- Industry-leading fully paid 30 weeks maternity leave & 10 weeks paternity leave
As a Design Director at Splash Damage you will be a key member of a leadership team responsible for driving the expert execution of the creative vision, directing the design and design teams, and successful delivery of a product.
A natural problem solver you can give examples of cross-team issues on previous projects and how you were able to reconcile them.
You will represent and support the needs of the business, the player, and team members’ needs on the project. You will be responsible for the output and growth of the entire design discipline on your project and for the morale, alignment and cohesion of all team members, across disciplines.
Beyond your project you will work to share knowledge, improve standards and processes across the studio and across disciplines, albeit with a focus on design.
You will support the Creative Director in regularly communicating the vision throughout the studio. You will oversee the creation and maintenance of documentation including the GDD and wiki pages, though you will largely communicate verbally; spending time with each team member, ensuring they understand the vision and design, are “bought-in” and have what they need to do their jobs. You will ensure the team feel the progress they are making and what their work is in service of in the bigger picture.
You will regularly and effectively communicate with the Studio Senior Leadership Team and any external partners or publishers, managing those relationships, presenting the creative achievements of the team, negotiating feature / change requests. You may be called on to communicate outwards to press, communities and fans in various formats from live appearances to pre-recorded interviews to forum engagement acting as both an evangelist and representative of the product and as an ambassador for Splash Damage.
You will manage, mentor, develop and coach Lead Game Designers. You will be integral to the planning on your project working alongside Production to create roadmaps, hiring and succession plans, and scoping exercises.
As a leader you will set the tone on the project and ensure Splash Damage’s values are embraced and embodied by you team; including ensuring your team have autonomy and do not feel dictated to.
- A passion for making and playing games
- Extensive industry experience
- Shipped at least 1 AAA title in an equivalent role (current/last gen) working on it from start to finish
- Shipped multiple titles in a leadership role, including the running of a multi-person design team; people-management, mentoring, line-management
- Experience of delivering on the project goals, translating the high-level vision into actionable tasks across all disciplines within the team
- Experience of being the flag-bearer / champion for a product including giving presentations to press and at conferences / events
- The ability to work collaboratively with other disciplines and experience of being a key part of a leadership group
- Excellent verbal and presentation skills
- Excellent written communication skills, including writing high quality and thorough design documentation
- Experience with design documentation, diagram and flow-chart creation, including wiki-based design documentation and spreadsheets
- A deep understanding of all aspects of design with mastery in many areas including signs and feedback, controls, balancing, narrative, game-feel, retention, usability, on-boarding, social mechanics
- Deep player empathy
- An understanding of player psychology and motivations
- An understanding of systems, systemic design, emergent gameplay and the place of procedural content generation in development
- Knowledge of industry trends in regard to genres, gameplay, development models, and financial models
- Fierce attention to detail
- Strong problem-solving skills including lateral thinking
Bonus points for:
- At least one shipped title featuring post-launch monetization beyond simple DLC packs; ideally a Free-to-play title.
- Strong maths skills; formulas, probability, statistics and balancing
- Highly experienced with Microsoft Office Products and other business software including: Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, Visio, Adobe Photoshop or similar
- Experience with source-control applications (SVN, Perforce, AlienBrain, etc.)
- Experience in creating first or third person shooters
- Experience running the live phase of a game as a service, including using telemetry / metrics to inform design and content decisions
- Experience of parsing the results of, and acting on, market research e.g. Focus groups, qualitative and quantitative surveys etc.
- Experience of prototyping gameplay mechanics using UE4, UE3, Unity, or similar.
Splash Damage is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity.
BENEFITS & PERKS
HEALTHPrivate Medical and Dental Cover for you and your family along with the Babylon 24/7 digital GP service. We also offer onsite counselling and an employee assistant program, along with covering eye tests, gym memberships and more.
HOLIDAYS & SOCIAL EVENTSWith 8 public holidays and an additional 3 day studio Christmas closure our staff have a total of 36 days off. We also offer flexible working hours and regular company social events.
FAMILY FRIENDLYIndustry leading fully paid 30 weeks maternity leave & 10 weeks paternity leave, along with flexitime and life assurance, helps new parents manage their time and put their family first.
PENSIONAll of our staff have enhanced company pension contributions, meaning that we invest in your future together.
BONUSES & REWARDSWe offer generous referral bonuses and staff are enrolled in our new bonus scheme.
ADDITIONAL PERKSWe have cycle to work and car leasing schemes, a free car park, game and book libraries, complimentary weekly onsite haircuts and discounts at many local businesses.