About Splash Damage
We founded Splash Damage with a mission to create lifelong friendships amongst our players and our staff by building the world’s most engaging multiplayer experiences. We only team up with the world’s leading partners and have worked with many of gaming’s most beloved universes over the years.
Our studio culture is built around autonomy, friendliness, and constant learning, and we look after our talent with a comprehensive benefits package. The Sunday Times named Splash Damage the UK’s 47th Best Company to Work For in 2018, and we’ve been awarded their Best Companies accreditation four years running. We also believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives and opinions to draw from, and we are committed to increasing diversity across our studio to consistently enable that.
We are currently working on several exciting titles for PC and consoles, including Gears 5, Gears Tactics, and a few that haven’t been announced yet. Come join us!
We're looking for a talented Senior VFX artist to help us build stunning effects for our projects. Applying your mix of technical and artistic skills, you will be responsible for the maintaining and pushing the visual quality of the Gears of War franchise while collaborating with Design and Programming to ensure the game is fun and visually impressive.
- Work with the VFX team to drive the creation of gameplay and environmental effects
- Effectively communicate and motivate the team, ability to receive and act upon feedback
- Advocates best practices and sets the quality bar to be visually impressive yet run within technical specifications
- Collaborate with Art team to accentuate visual fidelity, Designers to improve gameplay choices and Programming to maintain our performance requirements
- Able to set and maintain strong VFX pipelines
Essential Skills and Experience
- Has worked on at least three commercially released titles as a VFX artist on a AAA game titles
- Great technical knowledge of 3D packages, texturing packages and game engines like Unreal
- Strong experience with node based material generation workflows.
- Must have experience authoring real-time VFX and have a good understanding of the technical constraints imposed by console and PC technology
- Strong understanding the fundamentals of VFX including timing, composition, colour and how to use VFX to provide gameplay feedback
- Strong understanding and application of timing, scale, composition and colour
- Current with latest art techniques, practices, tools, software, and trends
- Understanding of production constraints and collaboration in a fast paced environment
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Previous roles as a senior or equivalent experience
- Strong knowledge of game development workflows, processes and tools
- Knowledge in rigid body and fluid simulation
- Passion for problem solving and pushing boundaries
- Able to take full ownership of VFX implementation
- Houdini FX knowledge is a plus.
Splash Damage offers a fun, friendly and relaxed working environment. Everyone here shares a passion for video games / shooting people in the face and that shows in daily office life. We also regularly get together for social events like pub quizzes, cinema nights, football, and company parties.
Find out more on our Studio page.
BENEFITS & PERKS
HEALTHWe offer Private Medical and Dental Cover for you and your family. We also cover the cost of complementary therapies, eye tests, gym memberships and more.
PENSIONAll of our staff have enhanced company pension contributions, meaning that we invest in your future together.
WORK & LIFE BALANCEWith 8 public holidays, our staff have a total of 33 days off. We also offer flexible working hours and regular company social events.
PROFIT SHARE & REWARDSWe offer generous referral bonuses and 1% of the studio's revenue share after 1 year with us.
FAMILY FRIENDLY10 weeks maternity and paternity leave, along with flexitime, helps new parents manage their time.
ADDITIONAL PERKSWe have a free car park on site, game and book libraries, complimentary weekly haircuts on site and discounts at many local businesses.