About Splash Damage
We founded Splash Damage with a mission to create lifelong friendships amongst our players and our staff by building the world’s most engaging multiplayer experiences. We only team up with the world’s leading partners and have worked with many of gaming’s most beloved universes over the years.
Our studio culture is built around autonomy, friendliness, and constant learning, and we look after our talent with a comprehensive benefits package. The Sunday Times named Splash Damage the UK’s 47th Best Company to Work For in 2018, and we’ve been awarded their Best Companies accreditation four years running. We also believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives and opinions to draw from, and we are committed to increasing diversity across our studio to consistently enable that.
We are currently working on numerous exciting titles for PC and consoles, including Gears 5, Gears Tactics, Halo: The Master Chief Collection and a few that haven’t been announced yet. Come join us!
As Splash Damage’s Level Designer, you will:
Work closely with designers, programmers and artists to create and maintain fun, playable levels
Collect and analyse playtest data and feedback, and iterate on layouts accordingly in collaboration with environment artists
Understand the core gameplay mechanics, project goals, and target demographic
Understand the technical constraints of the game engine
Understand the capabilities and workflow of the game editor and level design pipeline, and contribute ideas to help improve them
Focus on gameplay aspects of the map
Present your work to the team at various stages and be happy to accept positive critique from peers and Leads
Provide positive feedback to other members of the team
Pro-actively work with the other level designers to share knowledge, review content and ensure consistency.
Work with production to generate tasks, provide estimates and ensure deliverables are provided on time and to the required level of quality
Constantly monitor the bug database and fix issues in a timely fashion to maintain stability and ensure that your levels remain playable at all times
Essential Skills and Experience
- A passion for making and playing games
- Significant industry experience and 1 shipped AAA current gen (PS4 / XBOX ONE) console or PC title that featured a multiplayer component, worked on from beginning to end
- Experience in creating levels for first or third person shooters
- The ability to work independently without close supervision
- A passion for environment design and architectural concepts
- The ability to work collaboratively with other disciplines
- Experience of level-building using 3D level editing tools (UE4, UnrealEd, Hammer, Radiant, etc)
- Experience with design documentation, diagram and flow-chart creation
- Experience with source-control applications (SVN, Perforce, AlienBrain, etc)
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Blueprints, Flow Graph, or other visual scripting software experience
- Experience with 3DSMax, Maya, or other professional 3D modelling software
- Knowledge of gameplay event scripting and entity setup
- Traditional art skills
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop
- Experience with wiki-based design documentation
Splash Damage offers a fun, friendly and relaxed working environment. Everyone here shares a passion for video games and that shows in daily office life. We get together regularly for a wide range of social events, enjoying pub quizzes, cinema trips and gaming nights, competing in our plethora of sports and game groups, and letting our hair down at our legendary company parties, karaoke, and our weekly Friday get-togethers for in-house drinks, games and more.
Find out more on our Studio page.
BENEFITS & PERKS
HEALTHPrivate Medical and Dental Cover for you and your family along with the Babylon 24/7 digital GP service. We also offer onsite counselling and an employee assistant program, along with covering eye tests, gym memberships and more.
HOLIDAYS & SOCIAL EVENTSWith 8 public holidays and an additional 3 day studio Christmas closure our staff have a total of 36 days off. We also offer flexible working hours and regular company social events.
FAMILY FRIENDLYIndustry leading fully paid 30 weeks maternity leave & 10 weeks paternity leave, along with flexitime and life assurance, helps new parents manage their time and put their family first.
PENSIONAll of our staff have enhanced company pension contributions, meaning that we invest in your future together.
PROFIT SHARE & REWARDSWe offer generous referral bonuses and 1% of the studio's revenue share after 1 years’ continuous service.
ADDITIONAL PERKSWe have cycle to work and car leasing schemes, a free car park, game and book libraries, complimentary weekly onsite haircuts and discounts at many local businesses.