About Splash Damage
We founded Splash Damage with a mission to create lifelong friendships amongst our players and our staff by building the world’s most engaging multiplayer experiences. We only team up with the world’s leading partners and have worked with many of gaming’s most beloved universes over the years.
Our studio culture is built around autonomy, friendliness, and constant learning, and we look after our talent with a comprehensive benefits package. The Sunday Times named Splash Damage the UK’s 47th Best Company to Work For in 2018, and we’ve been awarded their Best Companies accreditation four years running. We also believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives and opinions to draw from, and we are committed to increasing diversity across our studio to consistently enable that.
We are currently working on numerous exciting titles for PC and consoles, including Gears 5, Gears Tactics, Halo: The Master Chief Collection and a few that haven’t been announced yet. Come join us!
As a Technical Art Director, you will be responsible for Splash Damage's Technical Art team on an exciting new project. You will maintain a consistently high standard of support across all disciplines on the project, and work with other Technical Artists in the studio to improve general development practises. How can we give an edge to our technology? What new tech should we invest in? How can we efficiently materialize the Art Direction vision into the game? These are the kind of questions you ask yourself in setting team-wide Artistic goals and driving toward them.
You should have a pragmatic and practical approach to working with technology, with experience of pushing the technical limits and ensuring the Art team can work efficiently and comfortably. If you think you’ve got what it takes to help Splash Damage raise the bar and strive for excellence, we’d like to hear from you!
As Splash Damage's Technical Art Director you will:
- Be a key contributor to the long-term vision for technical art and graphics in the studio
- Manage a small, skilled team of Technical Artists
- Work with the Art, Engineering, and Production departments to ensure all dependencies are met
- Liaise with external partners (Publisher and Outsourcers)
- Drive the planning and implementation of game, editor, DCC and standalone Art tools
- Assist the engineering team with implementing Art-related tools and features
- Support the Art team in debugging tools or game related issues
- Drive the game’s run-time performance and memory consumption optimizations
- Drive state of the art visuals that complement the game design and help deliver an exceptional product
- Pioneer new content creation techniques, this can include prototypes and mock-ups
- Develop new graphical features for our game and author Art content that require high technical expertise
- Mentor and help the Art team develop workflows and high standards for efficient content generation
- 4+ years of experience as a Senior or Lead Technical Artist on shipped AAA titles
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong proactive problem-solving attitude and the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Demonstrable knowledge of modern game content creation workflows
- Must have a strong digital Art background (
modelling, shading, lighting, VFX)
- Extensive knowledge of Unreal Tech, this includes applications such as Material creation and BluePrint
- Extensive application scripting experience (e.g. Python, C#), especially for DCC applications (Maya is preferred)
- Solid understanding of real-time physically-based materials & rendering (PBR)
- Passion for games and game development
Splash Damage offers a fun, friendly and relaxed working environment. Everyone here shares a passion for video games and that shows in daily office life. We get together regularly for a wide range of social events, enjoying pub quizzes, cinema trips and gaming nights, competing in our plethora of sports and game groups, and letting our hair down at our legendary company parties, karaoke
Find out more on our Studio page.
BENEFITS & PERKS
HEALTHWe offer Private Medical and Dental Cover for you and your family. We also cover the cost of complementary therapies, eye tests, gym memberships and more.
PENSIONAll of our staff have enhanced company pension contributions, meaning that we invest in your future together.
WORK & LIFE BALANCEWith 8 public holidays, our staff have a total of 33 days off. We also offer flexible working hours and regular company social events.
PROFIT SHARE & REWARDSWe offer generous referral bonuses and 1% of the studio's revenue share after 1 year with us.
FAMILY FRIENDLY10 weeks maternity and paternity leave, along with flexitime, helps new parents manage their time.
ADDITIONAL PERKSWe have a free car park on site, game and book libraries, complimentary weekly haircuts on site and discounts at many local businesses.