About Splash Damage
Our teams celebrated the launch of Gears Tactics earlier this year, and we’re currently developing Outcasters for Stadia along with several unannounced titles.
As an UnrealEngine focused studio, we're excited to be transitioning our teams to the latest in UE5 technology and we're looking for skilled and passionate developers to help us drive this.
We're advocates for work-life balance and offer a comprehensive benefits package focused on the well-being of our staff and their families.
We believe that teams create the best work when they have a range of perspectives and experiences to draw from. Therefore we're committed to increasing diversity across our studio, fostering an inclusive environment to ensure everyone's voices are heard.
Due to the on-going COVID-19 outbreak, we're all currently working from home. We’re still looking to welcome new team members, who'll join us remotely until we return to the studio
As Splash Damage’s Technical Designer you will work closely with the design team, contributing to the game design. Identify technical pitfalls and challenges while offering solutions and opportunities to innovate. You will prove new features by developing prototypes or providing accessible prototypes for the design team to experiment with. You will maintain familiarity with the technical and design aspects of the game’s development.
You will mentor, coach, manage and direct other Designers if necessary, including identifying Designers to work on features, levels or products within the studio. You will regularly be part of peer-reviews.
You will liaise with other disciplines in the development of complex features representing Design’s interests, ensuring implementation meets the design brief.
You will act as a technical reference for designers in evaluating features and setting or sharing best practices in production workflows within the team and studio. Support the programming team by assisting in debugging and optimization or undertaking light programming work. You will carry out development tasks such as implementing scripted features on systems or levels.
You will regularly communicate out progress against quality, scope and game vision alignment expectations. You will discuss and explain the rationale behind your decision making and listen, iterating on feedback from other disciplines or Designers. You will regularly present the areas of the game you are responsible for to the studio. Where necessary you will speak to the media and prepare key product messaging for the media.
Essential Skills and Experience
- A passion for making and playing games, especially the design and technical aspects of their creation.
- Significant industry experience and 1 shipped AAA current gen (PS4 / XBOX ONE) console or PC title that featured a multiplayer component, worked on from beginning to end
- The ability to work independently without close supervision
- Experience with a scripting or programming language (visual or text based)
- Experience of prototyping gameplay mechanics using UE4, Unity, or similar
- Experience in creating first or third person shooters
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience writing high quality and thorough design documentation
- Experience with source-control applications (SVN, Perforce, AlienBrain, etc.)
- The ability to work collaboratively with other disciplines
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Knowledge of players motivations, psychology and cognitive biases
- Knowledge and understanding in multiple areas of design, with emphasis in areas where digital prototyping is required
- Experience with C# or C++
- Aspire to create holistic designs where systems and subsystems work together to make a whole that is more than the sum of its parts
- Some knowledge of design methodologies and frameworks (e.g. MDA, Rational Game Design, PENS etc)
- Undergraduate degree in Video Game Design, Computer Science, Entertainment or a form of technical training
Splash Damage is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity.
BENEFITS & PERKS
HEALTHPrivate Medical and Dental Cover for you and your family along with the Babylon 24/7 digital GP service. We also offer onsite counselling and an employee assistant program, along with covering eye tests, gym memberships and more.
HOLIDAYS & SOCIAL EVENTSWith 8 public holidays and an additional 3 day studio Christmas closure our staff have a total of 36 days off. We also offer flexible working hours and regular company social events.
FAMILY FRIENDLYIndustry leading fully paid 30 weeks maternity leave & 10 weeks paternity leave, along with flexitime and life assurance, helps new parents manage their time and put their family first.
PENSIONAll of our staff have enhanced company pension contributions, meaning that we invest in your future together.
PROFIT SHARE & REWARDSWe offer generous referral bonuses and 1% of the studio's revenue share after 1 years’ continuous service.
ADDITIONAL PERKSWe have cycle to work and car leasing schemes, a free car park, game and book libraries, complimentary weekly onsite haircuts and discounts at many local businesses.