Lead Programmer / Technical
ABOUT SPLASH DAMAGE
We believe that games play better with friends. For more than 20 years, we’ve been creating team-based multiplayer experiences that have entertained tens of millions of players all over the world and forged countless new friendships along the way.
Our studio culture is rooted in our open, friendly, and collaborative environment. Our games are made by people from all over the world, from our entry-level Fresh Talent hires to industry veterans, and we believe that fostering that diverse culture is the best way to build both our games and our studio. We have won numerous awards, including a ‘World-Class’ accreditation by Best Companies and being named one of the UK’s 100 Best Large Companies to work for.
While our offices are based in Bromley, UK, our people have access to progressive working patterns that give them the flexibility to decide how to do their best work.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package for you and your family, including:
- Work your way with access to progressive working patterns including hybrid and fully remote
- Substantial performance-related pay system on top of your basic compensation, along with enhanced pension contributions and our life assurance scheme
- Bespoke VISA and relocation packages for you and your family, with support from our team throughout the whole process
- 25 days of holiday and 8 Bank Holidays a year, plus our annual studio closure between Christmas and New Year’s
- Private Medical and Dental Cover for you and your family, along with a 24/7 digital GP service
- Extensive Mental Health support, with Line Manager Mental Health training, a group of Mental Health First-Aiders, and on-site or remote counselling
- Our bespoke Learning and Development course framework to help you grow as an employee, manager, and leader
- Industry-leading fully paid 30 weeks maternity leave & 10 weeks paternity leave
As a Technical Lead, you will be responsible for all aspects of programming for an entire project. You will be in charge of your programming team, overseeing the day to day development of the game while liaising with production as well as the studio technical leadership to establish and maintain technical direction.
In charge of all technical aspects of the game, you will work closely with your programming discipline leads, game design, level design, art and production teams, and act as the main technical point of contact for the project.
We believe that constantly improving on our skills is an essential part of the job and offer regular leadership, management and mentoring training opportunities.
You excel at:
- Lead the day-to-day management of the project's programming team.
- Setting clear technical direction, intent and best practices within your team.
- Co-ordinate technical planning and task scheduling with production.
- Work with the studio technical leadership to establish and maintain technical direction.
- Identifying risks and blockers early and proactively removing them.
- Working effectively in open and collaborative environments.
- Seeing the big picture impact of decisions and critically evaluating them.
- Nurturing professional growth within your team with an enthusiastic attitude and a team-first mentality.
- Communicating ideas, intent and constraints to both technical and non-technical team members.
- Professional experience overseeing a large programming team throughout the full game development cycle on a shipped title.
- Professional experience overseeing a team of programmers.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Experience creating and maintaining roadmaps and technical plans.
- Experienced and proficient in C++.
- Ability to write clear, maintainable, portable code.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience with waterfall and/or agile production methodologies.
Even better if you have:
- Experience with resource planning and recruitment
- Professional development experience with real-time networked multiplayer games.
- Professional Unreal Engine 4 development experience on PC and/or consoles.
- Experience developing for Xbox Series, Playstation 5, Xbox One and/or PS4.
- Experience developing Game-as-a-Service games.
Splash Damage is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity.
BENEFITS & PERKS
HEALTHPrivate Medical and Dental Cover for you and your family along with the Babylon 24/7 digital GP service. We also offer onsite counselling and an employee assistant program, along with covering eye tests, gym memberships and more.
HOLIDAYS & SOCIAL EVENTSWith 8 public holidays and an additional 3 day studio Christmas closure our staff have a total of 36 days off. We also offer flexible working hours and regular company social events.
FAMILY FRIENDLYIndustry leading fully paid 30 weeks maternity leave & 10 weeks paternity leave, along with flexitime and life assurance, helps new parents manage their time and put their family first.
PENSIONAll of our staff have enhanced company pension contributions, meaning that we invest in your future together.
BONUSES & REWARDSWe offer generous referral bonuses and staff are enrolled in our new bonus scheme.
ADDITIONAL PERKSWe have cycle to work and car leasing schemes, a free car park, game and book libraries, complimentary weekly onsite haircuts and discounts at many local businesses.